DS ClubCar 36v Club car ds solenoid diode sparked and stopped working?

dvoll45

So just changed out my solenoid for my 2002 Club Car DS 36. I also replaced the diode. I put everything together and turned and put it in forward, turned the key and pressed the pedal. I saw a spark on the diode and it melted. Can you put it on backwards?

Maybe I had the diode on backwards? I read somewhere that says on the diode to put the band side to the positive side of the solenoid. I don’t know what side is the + side of the solenoid. My 36 volt solenoid has two big terminals on top and two small ones on bottom. The diode hooks to the ones on bottom and the only other wires going to the bottom terminals on the solenoid are coming from the micro switch from the F/R switch in one and one come from the V Glide switch on the other.

See picture of my diode and solenoid

Attachments

Last edited:

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
THE DIODE WAS IN BACKWARDS.... BUT ... GOOD NEWS ... YOU DON'T NEED A DIODE OR A RESTISTOR ON THE SOLENOID

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
the diode just direct the current
the resistor just allows a small mount of current (to lessen the spark of the solenoid)

i would look else where for your problem... the controller is where i would start
Club Car controller test

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
ok ... first test the solenoid (yes i know i'ts new but shit happens)

now check the micro switch
then check ALL the wiring look at connections given each wire a tug

here is your wiring diagram

v gade.png

good luck

Last edited:

dvoll45

First off thanks for the diagram!

How come the diagram shows a different solenoid than what I have? Very different than what’s in the picture I attached.

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?