Yamaha G2 Electric Golf Cart Barely Moves

Northgaboy

My 1990 Yamaha G2 36 volt electric golf cart rear wheels will turn fine when the rear of the cart is jacked up, but when the weight is on the wheels then it barely moves. I have checked all of my batteries and I have cleaned all wires, terminals and connections on all the batteries and motor. My voltage is as follows:

All load tests were for 10 seconds.

Battery pack surface charge: 38.60 volts
Battery pack surface charge under load: 36.10 volts

Battery 1: 6.38 volts
Battery 1 under load: 6.10 volts

Battery 2: 6.41 volts
Battery 2 under load: 6.12 volts

Battery 3: 6.43 volts
Battery 3 under load: 6.13

Battery 4: 6.29 volts
Battery 4 under load: 5.98 volts

Battery 5: 6.44 volts
Battery 5 under load: 6.13 volts

Battery 6: 6.36 volts
Battery 6 under load: 6.03 volts

What can be my problem? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
ALWAYS jack up cart with rear wheels off the ground and use jack stands
1st check all your cables . wiggle them and give a tug ... replace any that are bad or tighten any loose ones
2nd check the sweep arm on your controller make sure it sweeps all the way to full power
3rd check your sweep arm to see if it is making contact to all lugs as you press the go pedal (when cart is on jack stands ) if it loses contact that is a problem (let me know )
4th check the coil's for a broken or loose fitting (major problem)

here is wiring diagram for G2 36v cart

yamaha g2.gif

Last edited:

Northgaboy

So, the accelerator will hookup to the sweep arm of the controller? Are the coils the resistor coil that is easily seen? I believe that I remember that with a digital volt meter that I was getting 38 volts to the motor, but I don't know if that means anything important or not. Maybe I'm just not getting the amps to push the volts.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
yep the coils are easily seen

38 volt to motor is great
you might have to check the motor

quick note you need to use two wrenches to remove nuts from motor studs
you can do it with the motor in the cart and all batterers hooked up you just need 12v to test .. you don't want to test it with 36v ... and remember it is quick on and off

Northgaboy

Not trying to ask a stupid question, but if the wheels spin when I press the accelerator and I have it jacked up, do I still need to check the motor with a 12 volt battery?

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
there are no stupid questions ... if wheels are spinning and they increases with speed as you press the go pedal then no you do not need to test the motor ... but if it just spins and does not increase in speed it is the brushes in motor that are bad

Northgaboy

Ok. Thanks. Where would be the best place to find a replacement motor for it? The motor in it is a GE 5BC48JB845.

Northgaboy

Will I have enough room between the motor and the frame and shock on my Yamaha G2 cart to remove and replace the motor myself? Or, would I have to remove the whole rearend from the cart to do so? Also, will the terminals on the motor be labeled?

Northgaboy

Crash Test Dummy, I ordered and received a new motor for my golf cart, but it doesn't have the holes in the side of the motor to attach the L-bracket that goes underneath the motor and attaches to the transmission or rearend for additional support. What would be the easiest way to attach it to the motor?

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOUUR ASKING IS SOMETHING I KNOW ABOUT
WHAT MOTOR DID YOU GET ?
SEND ME PHOTOS AND I'LL LOOK AT IT
IS THE NEW MOTOR INSTALLED ?
MOST MOTORS DO NOT NEED AN "L " BRACKET

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?