ClubCar Recently bought 2 old club cars to get around the homestead

I have been addicted to speed my entire life. I raced for about 20 years and ran 10's mostly but could run 8's on NOS. I built that car in the back yard. Drove it on the street for 17 out of those 20 odd years and NEVER got a single speeding stop or ticket. Just because you have the ability to go fast all the time doesn't mean you have to use it! But it's nice to have the ability. I've got it going about 20 now according to GPS.

As for torque and speed what I have in mind will increase both the usable torque and the top end speed. Nothing crazy fast maybe 40-45 about the same as all these old four wheelers ran.

In all honesty I expected to die many years ago in some sort of fiery crash going 150+

I will probably copy something like that using my factory rear seat and modifying it.

OUTL4W

AMA
Admin
Addict
Says pictures are to large to load.
sorry for the late reply...to conserve on our server space...the max image file size is 2mb.

if you check FAQ #5 on our resource page will help
*FYI - if keep receiving the error "image is too large..". the forum can not handle "Live" photos from Apple or Google. A work around is to "Screen Cap" the specific images and then upload to your thread

Hadn't made it over here in awhile. Been busy as a bee building a small pond here.

Golf cart is doing great it's a real workhorse! I carried about 7 loads with it today. Including a wheelbarrow 10 bags of feed 2 bags of concrete lord only knows how many tools.

I decided to check the BMS yesterday to see how many cycles the battery has had now that it's been in a few months. 15 cycles is all it shows. Twice this week the voltage was a little higher than I like seeing it but that's okay. One of these days I'll figure out how to program the charge controller so it cuts off a little earlier. Long as I stay on my property I am not having to hook up a battery charger. I can even go the 4 miles round trip to the neighbors once or twice a week without needing to actively charge as long as the weather is decent. So I have to give the solar panel and LifePO4 battery a HUGE thumbs up since everything is working well past my expectations!

Question for you guys. What would it be worth to you to double your cart's speed and add 50% more torque at the same time? The modifications I'm talking about should also increase the battery range. This would be some serious homebrew backyard crazy crap....

Another question how do you tell which rear end you have in an electric club car? One is an 88 the other is a 99 I was hoping the rears were the same but they aren't. One has the bolts on the left hand side for where the case splits the other on the right. One rear also looks beefier than the other.

More importantly is one stronger than the other?

Last edited:
Met a neighbor today I had only seen in passing before. We got talking and found out we had a lot in common, drag racing especially. So I took him for a quick ride on the golf cart. I stabbed it and damn near flipped it over on it's roof. He about pooped himself! LMAO He couldn't believe an electric golf cart could do that. I learned I don't want to do that again. We came up so fast and hard it wouldn't surprise me to learn there was daylight under the back tires. The rear footrest put a nice divot in the lawn where it slammed in the ground so hard. There was nothing and no one in or on the rear just us two sitting up front.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him build one now.

Just want to do a shout out for the 18650 battery store. Had a problem with one of the cells I bought back on May 27th called and talked to them Tuesday they asked for a screen shot of the BMS reading which I sent in the following day and they shipped out a replacement today. No hassle at all, granted they had the screen shot showing exactly what the cells were doing.

You can NOT ask for better customer service than that!

I made a pulling strap out of the cut off end of a ratchet strap by burning holes near the ends and the cells came out without to much trouble. I've got the old cells and the new cell all on the table hooked in parallel to balance them all together. I'll probably leave them like that for 24 hours.

I was surprised how much dust was inside the battery box. It has to be coming in through the fan openings when they aren't running. The fans very seldom run, I'm not even sure they are actually needed except on those 95+ degree days.

Just wanted to add another thing their tech guy told me. He said with the way I have my solar and battery setup on my golf cart and the fact that in over 100 days the battery only has 25 cycles on it I can reasonably expect more than a 20 year life out of the battery.

Last edited:
Well that turned in to an all day affair. Getting the battery apart didn't go so bad using a short piece of ratchet strap to pull the cells out with. Getting them back in was another challenge, which I had to do three times. The first time I put them back in I reversed the order. The second time I suddenly had voltage leaking in to the battery box. So back out and back in again still I couldn't figure out why so I called the tech guy at 18650 and sent him pictures, he was as stumped as I was. Finally I decided to take the positive bus bar out where it passes through an insulator and the case. The problem went away. Put it back problem is back. WTH? It wasn't touching anywhere but I was getting a full 52.8 volts from the battery box. Now I'm really scratching my head asking WTH? So was their tech guy. I decided to trim out the insulator and wrap the bus bar in electrical tape, thirteen wraps later and it finally quit leaking. Only thing I can figure is steel box roughly 1 foot cube with 5kw @52 volts inside was acting like a transformer and somehow passing power. Still do not understand how or why but it's not happening anymore so...... Hopefully I can get it back in the cart tomorrow.

I also made some thin filters out of old cotton cloth and taped them in place. These are just to keep dust from falling through the fans when they aren't running.

Got down to -6c last night / this morning so I ran out to check and see if the heaters I put under the LifePO4 battery in the golf cart were performing as they should. I am very happy to report the thermostat and heater are both working as they should. The battery is at 3.2c even though the temperature is -5.5c right now.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
WE WERE U[ TO 78 WILL BE 38

Because of the cold temperatures sweeping the nation, iguanas are dropping out of trees like overripe mangoes, littering the ground in an apparent state of rigor mortis.
One tiny detail, though: They're probably not dead. They are, however, literally frozen.

It got really cold after that and the BMS shut the battery down. The heaters just couldn't keep up with 8f and sustained 30mph winds. But the battery seems to be fine now that it's working again.

Rennz

Veteran
That kind of cold is no good for any kind of battery system. Even more so for lithium cells, that's why a good BMS is a must. I think it's really the only downside and doesn't outweigh the benefits.

Hey guys I've come to the conclusion it's time to start fixing the other one, the frame is coming apart on the 88. It's a 99DS I'm thinking the control box is bad but it might be that thing a battery cable is supposed to pass through, can't remember what it's called. I noticed it's wire's been cut and I don't think the battery cable was going through it either. So I "think" someone took it out of the loop. Guess I better start by testing the motor, unless someone has a better idea.

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?