ClubCar Recently bought 2 old club cars to get around the homestead

I just changed the charge controller parameters from lead acid to LFP 15s we'll see how that does. I haven't gotten everything figured out for custom programing the charge controller for a 16s system yet. I may not have too since this looks like it may be just what the doctor ordered for long battery life. If I am guesstimating correctly this will let the charging current get up to about 55.5-56 which for my purposes should be just about perfect! That should limit the battery voltage to about 54-54.5 which is right in the neighborhood I'm looking for.

From my tests so far it looks like I can do chores and stay on the property for about 4 full days without ANY charging. So I am of this moment fairly convinced it will suit my purposes nicely

Put an offer in on some HD 4 leaf rear springs, hope they accept. Also found some reasonably priced shocks on Amazon and ordered those. This will pretty much finish out the suspension repairs & upgrades. Unfortunately I won't be able to order wheels & tires anytime soon.

Does anyone know of any other front brake options besides the Jakes spindle life / brake kit?

Took the cart off property today around 5 or 6 miles not counting the chore runs. Used 23% of the battery according to the BMS for that 5 to 6 mile run. Tried to get a top speed number but just wasn't possible the road is to rough to run flat out. The fastest I saw was 16mph but that was going up hill. I gave up at that point and just slowed down to a more comfortable drive.

Sunlight happened to be hitting just right the other afternoon for me to see I had broken one of the leaf springs on the front end. This is one that was put on since May. Wrote to the company through Amazon and got a fast response within hours. They requested pictures which I had taken so I sent those at 11:30pm and by 3:30am they had a replacement in the shipping system. Talk about being on top of customer service! Part should be here by the end of the week...

Amazon product

I check CL just about everyday. Well I think I found a deal on some wheels & tires. Full set of new take offs for $150. Supposed to go meet the guy at 5. Not exactly what I wanted but for the price they will be just fine! lol Plain solid steel wheels with 22x9x10 mud tires.

They are BRAND NEW all the little rubber tags on the tread are intact, look even better in person than I expected. One is flat or low on air hope it doesn't become an issue. They are a little smaller than expected, only measure 21 across even though they have 22X9-10 on the side but they'll do. Sure can not complain about the price. My daughter got pics for me click to make them larger.

Snapchat-1794591303.jpg

Snapchat-1368279245.jpg

What a HUGE difference in ride quality. Went up by a minimum of 300%. The old tires were so stiff I might as well have been riding on steel! Granted these tires will never last 20-30 years like the others. Doesn't matter one lick to me my back loves these in comparison! Like getting out of an empty garbage truck in to a luxury SUV! I'm not done yet either. The springs and shocks should get here later in the week.

I thought the BMS had started flaking out on the GC but it turned out the battery cell bolts needed to be re-torqued. First time I've ever had to re-torque any type of battery bolt. Maybe the vibration got them. Vibration is 90% gone with the new tires. Dang those old ones rode ROUGH!!!!!

Replacement lift kit and new shocks came in today. I'm going to cheat and replace the spring with one off a trailer instead of opening the other kit they sent. I do have another cart ya know! lol The heavy duty rear springs should be here friday I believe.

There's a small chance I might make a trade for another bare club car frame sometime this week. If I do there could be a custom build in the future if anyone would be interested in following along. I'd still like a mini truck to use around here and I kinda hate to give up the 2 back seats to make a small bed on the cart I am using now.

Had the cart up to 21 today on what I think was more or less level ground. Did 15-16 up a pretty good hill too. I was by myself.

Alright all my parts are in. I just got done cutting the old trailer spring pack apart to rob a leaf from to fix the front where the spring is broken. It's a bit thicker and stronger than the original so it should work well. It will lift the front a little higher than it was and the heavy duty rear springs are going to pick the rear up another couple inches. So it should finally sit like I want it to and lose a TON of body roll and lean. It will have new springs and shocks all the way around. Should make it drive & ride a LOT better. Of course it could end up being crazy stiff without a load on it. Only time will tell.

Trade for the other frame fell through someone showed up and bought it before I could get there. Oh well I have other ways if another doesn't magically appear before I get around to needing it.

Got the new HD rear springs on today and worked on another hotspot in one of the connections.

Says pictures are to large to load.

Well I finally managed to kill the battery. I haven't plugged it in to charge in awhile and we've been riding it all over the place. Probably better than 40 miles over the course of the last week over and above the chores. Today I got busy and didn't pay any attention to it other than once about lunch time I noticed the voltage was 50.12. So I knew it was low. I found out tonight at dark the motor draws enough current that the BMS will shut down on account of voltage drop when the resting voltage is around 48 volts. Which it was and I just wasn't paying attention or I wouldn't have let it drop below 50V. We haven't had a day of sunshine in sometime. There are periods of some sun but it's been pretty cloudy and or hazy for a month at least. Thinking I'll set up another panel here at the house where I park to plug in during the middle of the day while I hide from the heat or whenever I'm in the house.

Took another homesteader for a quick ride today. Pulled over in the grass and said you know how golf carts are slow and boring! He says yeah they are kinda lame. Then I proceeded to punch it and pulled a good foot high wheelie with his big 250 pound butt in the cart with me. Then we proceeded down the road and he's like dang we must be doing 20 what did you do to this thing? I just laughed and showed him the battery. He's no longer convinced all golf carts are lame. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Got a light reprimand from a deputy this morning for driving on the road in the GC. No big deal but I can sure tell ya I never PLANNED to drive the thing on the road or especially to the courthouse. Daughters dog was up there greeting everyone and being a general pain.

sorry i was in hospital most of July
Jakes is the ONLY front brake
Hope everything is okay!

Sure wish I could find a trashed motor around for parts CHEAP. I've got an idea or two I want to play around with. What I really need is the end cone and the armature shaft. Also need to start saving my pennies for a high speed gear set 6:1 unless I can find a better price than what I've seen so far.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
ok kidd ...
i have to say this ...
WHY DO YOU NEED MORE SPEED ?
a golf cart was meant to go 12mph on a golf course
your wanting 25mph on rough terrain is insane !!!!!!
lifted and big tires ??? i See tip overs in your future
i have flipped two carts ...NOT FUN
more tuque not speed
you are in a seatbelt less cart with plastic for protection
THINK ABOUT IT !!!!

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?