ClubCar Recently bought 2 old club cars to get around the homestead

Would any of you know where I might find the transmission & torque converter half to convert an electric club car DS rear end to gas? Are there golf cart junk yards? lol

Naw this is what I'm talking about. About 39 seconds in he shows the transmission on the right side.

The unit needs to be sealed up not open like that.

On the pic of the video the piece on the left is part of the rear gear housing and the piece on the right is the transmission. I'm looking for the piece on the right.

Saw this this morning. Guy does a 36 volt lead to 36 volt Li battery switch on a 36 volt cart and picked up 5 mph from 13 to 18 with nothing but a battery change! Impressive! The good part starts at 9 minutes.

New battery is finally up to 53 volts. I have it on a small 5 amp charger so this is taking FOREVER. I only have two portable 48 volt chargers one is a 18-20 amp fast charger and this is the other one. The fast charger tends to push the voltage up past 60-62 volts. Which is why I'm using this one. I have three other 48 volt capable solar chargers but they are location specific and in use.

I GUEES A GAS CART IS NON- NOISE ??
I never said I was converting one to gas. Just that I wanted one of the transmissions. Who knows I might decide I need a gas one one of these days but for now I'm loving my electric cart. I have an idea I want to play with that I need a transmission for.

Decided to run a little test on this battery. First a few details Maximum charge is 58.4 volts Dead battery is 40 volts. Man that's a wide spread! From my research I've learned a lot of DIY builders & off griders only charge to 56.8 volts and discharge to 42 volts. Staying in that long life middle span while stretching it much as they can. Those are more like the maximum of both ends and not necessarily the actual working range. The actual working range moves in some on both ends. LifePO4 batteries prefer to be in the 20 to 80 percent range for the longest life from what I understand That's also where most of the useable power is.

Anyway on to my test I only ended up charging the battery to 53 volts that's all my little charger was able to do this time. So I decided to put the 8000 BTU AC on it through a real cheap sinewave inverter. So far it ran one hour and 44 minutes and used 1.134 kWh out of the inverter through a meter. The voltage has only dropped from 53 to 52.2. This battery supposedly has 5.3kWh of storage. I've used a little over 1.1kWh and only dropped .8 of a volt. I am IMPRESSED !

It all fits in a milk crate and one person can move it pretty easy at 70 odd pounds. Rated for or as 51.2 volts nominal and 105 amp hours.

My daughter and son in law wanted to know if the golf cart was any quicker than it was at first. This is with lead acid 48 volt bank versus the 36 volt bank it had originally. So I romped on it with Nate and Tj (grandson) and I in the front Kyrstin was on the rear seat. The dang thing pulled about a 6 inch wheelie! Nate and I were both like naw that didn't happen so I did it twice more it happened twice more, in fact it did happen all three times. I will say two things 1) these batteries seem to be getting better with everyday of long slow charging 2) battery voltage at the time was about 53.5 volts. With the panel charging. I can't wait to see what it will do with the new battery!

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
OK HOW MUCH WEIGHT WAS ON BACK SEAT ?
IF IT WAS OVER 200LBS , YOU CAN POP "WHEELIES" ALL DAY LONG

My daughter was on the back seat she weighs well under 200. There were three of us on the front seat of course my grandson is small. But I know there's no way it would have done it without all the weight for traction. This was the first time I've matted it from a standstill since changing the rear tires to AG tread.

Started building the battery box today. It's 10.5W x 12L x 12T. Still a long ways to go. Trying to make it breathable for summer yet sealable for winter is not that easy. The worst part is I had to resort to using steel. I tried every which way to come up with enough aluminum but I just wasn't able to make it happen. I repurposed an old metal shelf to make it out of. It may not look the best but it will work.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
so your saying that from a dead stop with 3 people and a kid on your cart you popped a 6" wheelie ?
please take photos of your set up and get a video of the "wheelie'
take a reading of your voltage before the "wheelie" and after

lol I would but they aren't here now. By the time they are back I will probably have changed the batteries out for the single new battery. A six inch wheelie isn't that big a deal if you ask me but it was still a surprise.

Been out working on the battery box some more. Just finished testing the heating and cooling system for it. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd be temperature controlling a battery! Got a pair of 25 watt heat pads under an aluminum sheet over Styrofoam that the batteries will sit on. Also have a 4 inch fan 1.44 watts to go on the top drawing air from the bottom up around the battery. If I end up getting a BMS then the fan will probably be replaced by it since it has it's own fan. I have the fan coming on at 35c and off at 30c the heat will come on at 3c and off at 5c. Why in the world can't this stuff be in F and not C?

Still debating where I should place the battery. Either in the middle or on the passenger side? Both have pluses and minuses. Any opinions?

The old shelf I'm making the battery box from.

The heating and cooling parts. Orange pads are 12V 25 watt heaters wired in series to keep them from getting so hot. The little white box with wires is a temperature control unit I have a second on order. One for heating one for cooling. The fan is for cooling. The 2) 1/2" pieces of Styrofoam are to insulate the bottom and reflect the heat up through the aluminum plate the heat pads are glued to.

Ratty old piece of Lexan I dug out to make a cover for the box.

It's not very pretty but this is the box.

More to come as I make more progress.

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?