Welcome to WildBuggies!

Do you like lifted golf carts? Or anything else you would classify as a Wild Buggy? Then join and discuss everything related to Wild Buggies.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Thanks for visiting Us!
Welcome to WildBuggies

Do you like customizing your golf cart? Or anything else you deem as a Wild Buggy. Or just looking for help with any issues? join and we'll help each other, it takes less than 30 seconds! Everybody is welcome here. This Notice will disappear once Registered!

Click here for a FREE account

Electric How to test an electric golf cart motor?

Discussion in 'Other Resources' started by OUTL4W, Dec 21, 2016.

1. image_1829.jpg

Series Wound Motor:
    (Series motor have series winding and thus a high armature current is same as field current.Due to which resistance of field winding is low.Core flux is linear.)

There are 4 connections on the motor, we'll use the following as an example. A1, A2, F1 and F2. The letters could differ. Put a jumper wire from A1 to F1 so they are connected. Now jump the A2 and F2 connections with a 12 volt battery or battery charger. It does not matter which polarity. If the motor is good it will turn over.

Shunt Wound Motor: (Shunt field are parallel and hence have low current. Therefore it have more number of turns and core gets saturated due to which flux will be constant.)

Again there are 4 connections on the motor, we'll use the following as an example. A1, A2, F1 and F2. The letters could differ. Put a jumper wire from A1 to F1 so they are connected, and another separate jumper wire from A2 to F2. Now run a current from a 12 volt battery from the A1/F1 connection to the A2/F2 connection. It does not matter which polarity. If the motor is good it will turn over.

2. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. How do I tell if my motor is series or shunt wound? I have a 1995 ds 36v with a controller.

4. There’s nothing visually different between the two that I know of but a shunt motor has the field windings connected in parallel with the armature .. and a series motor has the field windings connected in series with the armature.

But perhaps crash test dummycrash test dummy has a better idea?

5. #5 crash test dummy, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    How to tell the difference between a Series and a Regen cart. CLUB CAR
    (4 easy ways to tell the difference - Use at least 2 of 5 to confirm.)

1. Does the Golf Cart have a Tow/Run switch or Run/Maintenance switch? This would be under the seat. If the cart DOES have this switch, it is a Regen (Regenerative Braking) cart.
    If there is NOT a switch, then its a Series cart.
    See examples below

Club Car
    Tow/Run Switch
    [​IMG]

2. Series Vehicle Features
    Club Car Series Cart Features
    [​IMG][​IMG] -[​IMG]OR [​IMG]

3. Does the motor have a speed sensor wire protruding from the end head? If the answer is YES, then it is a Regen motor.
    If there is NO speed sensor lead on the motor, then it is a Series motor.

Club Car Regen Motor
    [​IMG]
    4. Are there 2 smaller diameter (1/4-20 UNC) terminals and 2 larger diameter (5/16-18 UNC) terminals on the motor?
    Or are all 4 terminal studs on the motor the same size (5/16-18 UNC)?
    If there are 2 smaller and 2 larger terminals bolts, its a Regen motor.
    If all 4 bolts are the same size, then its a Series motor.

[​IMG]

5. What do the motor Field Coil Windings Look Like?
    a. Regen motors have "shunt" or "round wire" coils, usually with smaller gauge wire (12AWG - 24AWG range). Usuaully, with a large amount of turns (60 to 200+ turns) per field coil.
    b. Series motors have "flat wire" coils with larger wire sizes. Usually, the wire is rectanular in shape (cross-section). These coils have a much lower number of turns (usually 5 to 15 turns) per field coil.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note: A Regen cart will normally automatically slow down when you hit approximately 15 MPH going down a hill. This is for safety reasons (as not to over-spin the armature).

EZGO CARTS
    [​IMG]

6. Wow!! Lots of info , thank you !! Mine doesn’t have a tow/ run switch so I can use the series wound schematic to test it. Bought this thing as a basket case somebody gave up on. Figured it’d be a good way to learn. Thanks again, Mark

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks, the diagram will be extremely helpful. Hopefully I can get out to the garage this weekend and get this thing moving

8. [​IMG]