DS ClubCar Full custom DS project.

Budro35

Hey guys,
I bet you thought I gave up on this project, lol.
No. I have been working on it and it should be ready for its first test ride in a few days.
I had a friend move to our area recently and have been helping him remodel their new (very old) home... Along with my two teenage boys, who are both in sports and band, cutting brush and other land work, I have been busy.

I had to cut out and re-fiberglass a section of the old seat base that had some delamination and am still having a tough time figuring out how I want to brace the front seat backs. I've been trying to re-utilize as much of the old pieces as possible, kind of like a jigsaw puzzle of random cut-up aluminum.
Once I do that and get a few good test drives in to make sure everything is where I want it, I'll start forming the new body.

Budro35

Glad to get the update! Sounds like you’ve been very busy but I’m sure it’s relaxing to get back with working on your cart! Include a few pictures please to keep us in the loop! Thanks Bud

Rennz

Veteran
Well, I finally got the vitals sorted out and took it for a short spin.
This thing is flippin' quick!
After a few slow rolls around to get a feel of the settings, I punched it... The right rear just lit up!
Rolling into the throttle to let it hook-up and it launches hard.

I need to play with the alignment some more before any top speed runs, along with a number of other things.
I will also be putting 2" wheel spacers on the rear. A limited slip or e-locker would be nice too...
c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

Budro35

Wow! Now that cart is a work of art and you need to be super proud of that one! The pictures sure tell the story and the comparison with the stock cart and the hot rod is just incredible! Thanks so much for the update and can’t wait for more!!!

There's a guy on youtube that sells spacers for the spider gears that gives it a pretty good posi with a 100lbs break point. So in a straight line it's posi in turns it can slip a little to not rip up the grass. They are about $100 last I checked. I need a set to for bad weather and such. My cart does posi pretty well in a straight line. It'll do wheelies so...................... On soft ground when punched it leaves twin roostertails and 5-6 foot of spin marks. But in rough terrain and mud it could still use some help.

I had to look back and see which motor / controller you went with. 5kw and 600 amp AC impressive! I can't wait to hear what the top end is!

voltz

Hi All.. i just joined here looking for info on batteries people are using.
I looked at bigbattery and the Husky: $2590, 103Ah, 100 lbs, continuous amps - 130
then, i found battery at Eco, also similar specs at 94lbs
then i found LithiumMoto - $2400, 96Ah , 52 lbs, continuous 200A with Bluetooth,
So, , what other considerations should i be looking at ?

OUTL4W

AMA
Admin
Addict
I looked at bigbattery and the Husky: $2590, 103Ah, 100 lbs, continuous amps - 130
then i found LithiumMoto - $2400, 96Ah , 52 lbs, continuous 200A with Bluetooth,
B BiggKidd did a great job at showing us his conversion to solar-cell powered batteries

Rennz

Veteran
I had to look back and see which motor / controller you went with. 5kw and 600 amp AC impressive! I can't wait to hear what the top end is!
Hey, BiggKidd. Been a way for a bit. Yeah, I went with the bigger setup and I actually found out this motor can handle up to 14Kw!
The max motor RPM is 9k, so with my gearing and tires the top speed should be around 45mph. I have the controller set to 7500 RPM max as I really don't want to over speed the motor. I know it goes fast enough to make my eyes water and scare the heck out of my wife, lol. I still have the GPS speedo sitting in my Amazon cart. Also on an AC setup, the motor speed isn't limited by the battery voltage as much as a DC setup; the controller will just pull more amps. Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the spider gear shim tip, I'm looking into it.

I did get a 700w voltage converter for the future stereo and 12v accessories.
And I think I finally have enough foam to start shaping the body...

Last edited:

Rennz

Veteran
Hey, Voltz. Welcome, I was able to get the Husky for about $2500 shipped and it was the dimensions/specs I was looking for. I never really saw any info on Lithiummoto at the time. But they seem pretty good. I'll look into them when I eventually put this husky in my old cart when the lead acids give out and upgrade this one to 72v.

Hey, BiggKidd. Been a way for a bit. Yeah, I went with the bigger setup and I actually found out this motor can handle up to 14Kw!
The max motor RPM is 9k, so with my gearing and tires the top speed should be around 45mph. I have the controller set to 7500 RPM max as I really don't want to over speed the motor. I know it goes fast enough to make my eyes water and scare the heck out of my wife, lol. I still have the GPS speedo sitting in my Amazon cart. Also on an AC setup, the motor speed isn't limited by the battery voltage as much as a DC setup; the controller will just pull more amps. Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the spider gear shim tip, I'm looking into it.

I did get a 700w voltage converter for the future stereo and 12v accessories.
And I think I finally have enough foam to start shaping the body...
PLEASE take lots of pics and VIDEO if possible of the body work. I still want to do a full custom body and have NO idea how! I know exactly what I want but not exactly how to get there.

You still have the factory gears correct? I'm thinking of changing to the 6:1 from the factory 12:1 and adding a TAV to give it another 50% of bottom end torque. It would make for an interesting ride! Of course this would require a lot of custom work and some outside machine work. The motor would have to be relocated by the distance of the TAV belt / backing plate setup.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry so much about the continuous amp draw as they only draw high amps when taking off and or pulling long hills or hauling heavy loads. Take my cart for example I might draw 150-200 amps for a second then it quickly drops back in the 50-60 amp range once it's moving.
If dollars are a problem consider building your own battery like I did. My home built 105AH 16s 48 volt battery cost slightly less than replacing the original lead acid batteries with more of the same. It also lost around 260lbs and has slightly more usable amp hours.

Rennz

Veteran
Thanks. This is the start of the buck/plug for the mold and will be shaped a bit differently than what you see now.
I used dollar store foam posterboard for the initial pattern, placed scrap styrofoam on the thicker areas, then covered with Great Stuff. That was about four 12oz cans.... I need a lot more, lol.

Oh, I did data log a little run on a piece of level blacktop. A full throttle launch and hard stop before going down a hill.
I got the tuning right so the motor ramps up to reduce wheel spin; now there is just maybe a 1/4 tire rotation before hooking up.
It hits 30+ in about 2 seconds and pulls about 310 battery amps for about 1 sec before ramping down fast:
Dash 1.jpg

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?