DS ClubCar Full custom DS project.

Rennz

Veteran
Wow, it's been a while. But I got a new project going and thought I'd share.:

So, my cousin bought some property at an old campground and said there was an old cart under some brush that I could have if I came and got it....
Well it was an old '87 36v resistor Clubcar. The motor, resistors, solenoid and all the wiring was shot, but I took it anyway.
I had a blank slate and decided to just go wild with it. It is going to take a while with slow updates so bear with me. I won't reveal my entire plan for this cart, but here's how she sits now.
See if you can spot all the changes so far.

Attachments

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
YEA ... I SEE A NEW MOTOR ( PLUM QUICK) AND CONTROLLER
NICE WHEELS AND TIRES
DID YOU REPLACE THE SPRING BUSHINGS ?
36V OR 48V ?
DO YOUR CART A GOOD THING PUT IN 2 GAUGE CABLES

Last edited:

Rennz

Veteran
Thanks CTD.
Yeah, it's a 5KW AC motor with the 600A Navitas controller (48v).
205/35-15 DOT tires on Rhox wheels.
All the bushings, shocks.... will be replaced.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
NO BIGGKID that is a stock frame the 205/35-15 DOT tires on Rhox wheels. make it look screeched
this is gonna be a great build

Cool beans. The lift kit I used moved my front axel about 3 inches forward. I think I'm going to add just a little to the frame and make a trunk something like a VW beetle for carrying tools and such. The fiberglass nose piece was trashed when I got the cart.

Rennz

Veteran
i stand corrected
how did you do extend the steering ??
If you look at pic 4, I used a piece of 1/2" round stock ground and notched for the rear u-joint bolt and then a coupler with set screws on the forward. Then threw on some good tac welds for good measure.
* This will mis align the u-joint angles and cause binding if you just try to do a simple extension.*
Now look at pic 7 and you can see where I relocated the steering column mount. This raises the mount and tilts it back, making for smooth/un-notchy steering and keeping the steering wheel at the same height. Only the top of the steering wheel is tilted towards you more and is less like a bus steering wheel. - I had to drill and put a longer bolt in the bottom of the mount as well.

Rennz

Veteran
Ok, back from family vacation. Just a few updates, I said this would be slow.:

- Got a battery - BigBattery Lithium 48v Husky kit
- Ordered new shocks
- Ordered Jakes hydraulic front disc brake kit
- Ordered turn signal kit
- Ordered seats f&r
- Ordered seat belt kit
- Stopped ordering stuff until my wife puts the knives away....

When I get the battery in place, I'll post another pic or two.

LMAO Wives!

That's almost exactly the same specs as the battery I'm building. It should do you well. Any idea what size BMS it has? I've been fighting trying to fit the big arse 250 continuous amp Daly I bought in my box and it just isn't wanting to fit at all. I may have to start all over again and make an larger box.

You're going to have a brand new custom cart, ENJOY!

Rennz

Veteran
LMAO Wives!

That's almost exactly the same specs as the battery I'm building. It should do you well. Any idea what size BMS it has? I've been fighting trying to fit the big arse 250 continuous amp Daly I bought in my box and it just isn't wanting to fit at all. I may have to start all over again and make an larger box.

You're going to have a brand new custom cart, ENJOY!
Not too sure if these are the true specs of the BMS, or if the rating is to protect the warranty... I'm running an AC motor/controller, so the AMP draw won't be quite the same as a DC setup.
Max Continuous Discharge Current Amps:130
Max Continuous Power Watts:6700
Max Discharge Peak Current Amps:350 (6 Seconds)
Max Charge Current Amps:90

Rennz

Veteran
Well, getting the battery situated up front...
Yep, that's what I said. Up front.:
batt.jpg

... And yes I can still turn the wheels lock to lock.

GREAT use of dead space. Hope it doesn't cause any steering or lack of traction issues. The front end may want to push a bit now if you don't have any weight in the rear. I am a little worried that taking a couple hundred pounds out of my cart with the battery swap might just hurt the traction action! I use mine to pull & drag stuff all the time. I pulled a large LARGE log off a bridge the other day and nearly pulled my golf cart in the river when it decided to roll the opposite direction from where it needed to go. But it's off the bridge now and we can once again cross it, so no harm no foul I recon... What are you going to use all the under seat space for now? I'm going to put a junk catch on one side and cooler on the other where 4 of my batteries were and put the one new battery in the space where the two in the middle were.

Rennz

Veteran
Thanks, BigKidd. This will actually improve front end traction and overall handling by more evenly distributing the weight to all four corners. The weight dist. will still be 60+% rear biased with driver and more so with passengers. Put a stock cart in the grass or loose dirt, turn the wheels anywhere passed 50% to lock, hit the throttle, the cart just pushes in a straight line; this won't happen with more weight on the front. And for towing... pretty much any tow vehicle has added weight on the front. I've got a couple tractors for that though. I'm also lowering the seating positions and pushing them back just a bit....

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?