DS controller bench test

vince321

i have a 08 DS i just bought with a curtis controller model 1510A-5251 is there a way to bench test these

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
put cart on jack stands !!!!!!

start with your basics before going to controller..
is the solenoid clicking when you press the go pedal? if not try jumping the large post on solenoid... jack rear up and with key off get a piece of 6 gage cable and use it for your jumper wire....jump large post turn key on put in gear and press pedal if cart runs replace solenoid... if not than check each battery for voltage...
charge cart till charger shuts off let sit an hour and test each one.. grab tug and twist each cable to make sure they are tight.......also if needed clean connections.....it only takes one bad one to stop cart...
if batts and cables are good than get a 10 gage wire and a few alligator clips make a jumper wire about 5 to 6 ft...hook one end to solenoid small post with yellow wire jump from there over to #6 battery neg. post see if cart runs . if cart runs with the jumper from solenoid to #6 battery your OBC went bad
on the rear of the charge receptacle under seat give that grey wire a pull make sure it stays put......but check all this basic stuff 1st there's a good chance you may never get to the controller...
the curtis controller model 1510A-5251 is the basic oem controller

Last edited:

vince321

i just bought this cart and from what im being told is the studs in the motor were so bad they were almost falling out and two of them arched they replaced the motor from the original to a 400 amp stock one and when they did the controller started smoking and the wires where hot they took off the controller and you can see where the plastic is slightly melted on the M1 and B- lugs i just picked it up last night so trying to find a starting point i know the run/tow switch is disconnected also

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
wow
new motor and controller a must !!!!
your looking north of $1200 new
give my buddy Dave a call he has what you need
706-431-3917

run/tow switch is disconnected ... no problem as long as you disconnect the batteries BEFORE working on it

vince321

wow
new motor and controller a must !!!!
your looking north of $1200 new
give my buddy Dave a call he has what you need
706-431-3917

run/tow switch is disconnected ... no problem as long as you disconnect the batteries BEFORE working on it
your saying i have to replace the brand new motor they put in plus a controller

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
and let me say this
new motor or used ? who said ? your people or a jerk off crag's list??
what melted the controller?
i'm not busting your balls but i have repaired a lot of "like new carts"

vince321

and let me say this
new motor or used ? who said ? your people or a jerk off crag's list??
what melted the controller?
i'm not busting your balls but i have repaired a lot of "like new carts"
new motor confirmed by his brother which is a good friend of mine build date on motor is 7/30/21 from nidec drive systems and not sure im assuming a missconected wire some where and i compleatly understand not trusting just what anyone says when their trying to sell

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
MOTOR SHOULD OF SPUN
NO SPIN NO WORKY

How To Test Your Golf Cart Motor For A Short
Begin by labeling the cables going to your electric motor and put a corresponding label on the motor itself if it does not already have one.

Assuming that we’re using a multimeter and not just a continuity tester, set your tester to the continuity setting and if it doesn’t have one, set it for ohms. Most testers will give you an audible beep sound indicating continuity, but if yours doesn’t have a beep then you will need to watch the meter.

Testing your golf cart motor for a short is a fairly easy process. This is an important test to do on your motor before replacing the controller because a short could damage the new controller irreparably. Please note that this test will not find a short in the armature.

Note that continuity testing is not directional, so it doesn’t matter if the red and black are reversed. Using the illustration below, run these quick tests for electrical shorts before continuing on to the functionality test.
Untitled.png

vince321

MOTOR SHOULD OF SPUN
NO SPIN NO WORKY

How To Test Your Golf Cart Motor For A Short
Begin by labeling the cables going to your electric motor and put a corresponding label on the motor itself if it does not already have one.

Assuming that we’re using a multimeter and not just a continuity tester, set your tester to the continuity setting and if it doesn’t have one, set it for ohms. Most testers will give you an audible beep sound indicating continuity, but if yours doesn’t have a beep then you will need to watch the meter.

Testing your golf cart motor for a short is a fairly easy process. This is an important test to do on your motor before replacing the controller because a short could damage the new controller irreparably. Please note that this test will not find a short in the armature.

Note that continuity testing is not directional, so it doesn’t matter if the red and black are reversed. Using the illustration below, run these quick tests for electrical shorts before continuing on to the functionality test.
View attachment 1511
all 4 pins have continuity with each other but not the the case doesn't matter what pin you put it on it beeps so ex f1/s1 beeps when touching a1 or a2 s2 does the same

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?