Battery Problems

I am just about done with my BBB project. I was test driving the cart a the other day and I noticed that the cart would only go about 9 MPH. When I got home, I found one battery post had gotten so hot it melted and the cable was not tight on the post. The post would just spin in place when I tried to tighten the cable down. So I bought one new battery to replace the bad battery. I charged the cart and tested it again the next day. This time the cart got up to 12 MPH. However, I was only able to go about a mile or two before the batteries drained. By the time I was pulling back into my driveway, the battery meter was blinking and completely discharged. I bought a battery cell tester (hydrometer). I tested all the cells and all but one tested good. One cell on one battery was completely dead. The water level was good.

Does this mean the battery is bad or can that one cell be brought back? Assuming nothing else is wrong, would this be the reason for the rapid discharge of the batteries? Or does this mean that all the batteries are weak and need to be replaced? The batteries are US1800 batteries and are about 4 years old.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
YEA IF NOT MAINTAINED BATTERIES ONLY LAST ABOUT 4 YEARS
I WOULD REPLACE THE WHOLE PACK ( YOU CAN KEEP THE NEW ONE) ...
WHEN YOU PUT A NEW BATTERY IN AN OLD PACK YOU DRAW DOWN THE NEW BATTERY
SORRY CAP LOCK ON .lol

a battery cell tester (hydrometer) is ok
for best results get a 6v/12 battery tester

THE DEAD CELL IS JUST THAT ... DEAD
THE MELTED POST COULD OF BEEN REPAIRED

Last edited:

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?