EZGO Adding a second 12 Power Converter to a 36V Ezgo Electric Cart

Lmathies

Hi, I have a 12V power converter on my 36V golf cart for the lights which is activated by the "light" position on the key switch. I want to add a second 12V power converter that will activate with the "ON" position on the key switch for a radio and phone charger. Can I connect a second 12V converter to the battery pack or is running two 12V power converters off of the same 36V battery pack not a safe thing to do?

Thank you in advance.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
YES IT IS OK TO DO ...
IT IS NOT DONE OFTEN BUT I'VE SEEN IT DONE
REMEMBER TO FUSE EACH CONVERTER

Lmathies

Thanks, I will probably add a toggle switch for the lights eventually and run off one converter but will use both just to get everything going.

Lmathies

Ready to hook to the key switch. All of the videos I have seen show that you check the voltage on the wires to the key switch with it turned off and one should have voltage to it and another does not. The one that has no power when off is the one to tie the green "signal" wire from the converter to. My key switch has 4 pongs on it. B1 I L the fourth prong has no label and that is the one my light kit is connected to. When the key switch is turned off, there is no voltage registering to any prong. Do you know which I should conned the wire for the new converter to?

Lmathies

Further testing. WIth the key switch turned "ON" the only prong that gets power is the one with no markings. There are two wires connected to it. White, and Green(signal for lights to come on. In the ON position, the cart runs but lights are off. In the Light position, cart runs and lights are on. Doesn't make sense because both the wire tha apparently gives power to the controller and the wire for the lights are both connected to the same prong.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
WHAT YEAR IS IT AND IS IT A TXT ??
THIS MAY HELP
I ALWAYS HOOK A CONVERTER TRIGER WIRE TO THE BLUE WIRE
TWO LIGHTS TO SAME PRONG WOULD BE FRONT AAND BACK LIGHTS

Lmathies

It appears that the 12V converter is triggered when the key is in the "ON" position. And when the "Light" position is engaged, power from the converter goes through the key switch on the "L" contact and out the key switch on the "B1" contact and then to the lights themselves from.

Front and rear lights are all connected together

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
THEN YOU DON'T NEED A 2nd CONVERTER
TAP INTO THE CONVERTER OUT POS AND NEG
WHEN YOU TURN CART YOUR ACCESSORIES ARE POWERED
AND LIGHTSS WILL STILL WORK FROM KEY
THE GROUND CAN RUN SAME AS LIGHTS BUT MAKE POSATIVE TO FUSE BOX

Lmathies

I think that is what I will do. I will use the new converter since it is a better model and newer and remove the old one.

When I make power connection from the converter to the battery pack, I know the switch wire on the key activates it to provide power. I have all the wires connected and there is a plug connector that the power from the battery pack goes to and then other part of the plug connect to the converter. When I connect the two plug halves together there is a quick spark between the the contacts in the plug. Is power always going to the converter but just not leaving out of it until the key is turned on?

On another note.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
YES THAT IS CORRECT THE CONVERTER IS ON AND IT IS ACTIVATED WITH TRIGGER WIRE
ALWAYS PUT CART IN TOW OR DISCONNECT THE MAIN NEGATIVE CABLE WHEN
DOING ANY WORK ON CART

Lmathies

But is power to the converter from the battery pack "always on" since it is directly connected to the battery pack but you just do not get any power OUT of the converter until the trigger wire is activated?

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
YEP.... THAT WAY IT IS INSTANT ON
IS THE OLD ONE WORKING ??
SAVE IT .....

HERE IS THE PDS WIREING DIAGRAM

AND HERE IS THE PLUGS FOR THE PREFORMANCE OPTIONN (J2)

shaka_life

I'm glad I ran across this forum. This was a helpful thread. I have an additional question related to this.

For a 2011 EZ-GO TXT.

How can you set up a separate switch to turn on your accessories that are wired to the DC Converter (via a fuse block)? I currently have the trigger switch (green wire) that turns on the converter wired to the ignition key switch and everything functions fine. However, as a safety precaution with kids around, I want to add a separate switch that is independent from the key switch and rewire the trigger to that so I can turn on the accessories without having the golf cart ignition switch in the "on" position (I hope that makes sense). I have installed the new switch panel, but i'm not sure where to hook up the trigger switch wire now (instead of the ignition switch). Any ideas?

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
splice the green wire and one goes to key switch
the other goes to green wire a switch and to the36v main positive

like this
36 reducer.png

but i think you were saying that you want it kid safe so the switch would be to the green wire only

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?