2004 Precedent won’t go

Randy Stuart

I was just given a 2004 Club Car Precident by my brother. It doesn’t move at all. He said it was fine and he charged it and left it for a few months at his camp. When he got back it would not move. The batteries are good and test at 50volts and the charger works just fine. The key switch is good and he put in a new mcor but that did not help. I tried to test the OBC with a multi meter. When I connect meter between light blue wire from 6 wire connecter and negative on battery as manual says, I only get about 25 volts. I get the same with the red wire. When I use meter probes to jump between blue and red at connector on harness side I get 50 volts. Is this an indication of a bad obc or do I need to look elsewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t want to spend big bucks on a new OBC and then find out that was not the problem. Thanks in advance.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
Put the FNR switch in reverse, if You don't hear the buzzer the OBC is in lockout mode.

try Resetting the OBC
To reset the OBC the following must be done in this order:
• Key Switch to Off
• Forward/Reverse to Neutral
• Tow/Run Switch to Tow
• Disconnect the Battery NEGATIVE (–) wire from the Battery Minus terminal on the battery pack.
• Put the Tow/Run to Run
• Forward/Reverse Switch to Reverse
• Key Switch to On
• Lock the throttle pedal down, Leave the cart like that for 5 min to cause the OBC to reset.

To reconnect the OBC back into the system:
• Key Switch to Off
• Forward/Reverse Switch to Neutral
• Tow/Run switch to Tow
• Reconnect the Batt – wire to the battery minus terminal on the battery pack.

Once the OBC has been reset, the cart can be troubleshot.
There is always a chance the OBC has completely failed and the reset process will not fix the problem.

The way you know the OBC reset is the first time You go to drive the battery warning light will come ON.
Plug the charger IN and see if it works, if it does, unplug the charger and test the cart in reverse again.
If the reverse buzzer now works, the problem is definitely the MCOR micro-switch

Randy Stuart

The cart is running now and everything seems fine except the speed. My brother said he brought it to the Club Car factory store and had them reprogram it for more speed like 20mph. It only seems to be doing 10-12 now. Would doing an OBC reset cause a return to stock speed program?

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
no ... the speed is controlled by the Controller ... it is in the memory of the controller if it was lost the cart would not move
it is more than likely the MCOR was a chinizzeee knock off ... you need to get a good one not an after market clone
that is if you want the 20mph ...

you could also check the speed magnet for cracks but doubtful

glad it was not the OCB

Randy Stuart

Someone said it might be the speed sensor. Does that make sense to you. When I tested the mcor at the 16 pin connector it was putting out full voltage. Could it still be bad? To check the magnet it looks like you have to remove and partially disassemble the motor. I think that may be above my abilities. The posts on the motor are corroded to the point they look like they would snap off if I tried to loosen them. The cart has lived on the coast for the last 8 years and there is a good bit of corrosion from the salt air.

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
possible
the magnet is a 10 min job with a beer in the middle

clean all connections just use a wire brush
if possible take a photo of motor studs

Last edited:

Randy Stuart

Well I don’t know what happened but I washed/ pressure washed the buggy. I tried to be careful and stay away from electronics, when I got through I took it for a ride to dry it off and it ran great. It did 20mph with two of us in it. Must have been a lot of extra weight in mildew and mud dobber nests and bird crap. I hope it still runs this good when it Drys out completely. Really weird deal but I like it . Hope it lasts.

Randy Stuart

I rode it for 2-3 miles nonstop and it maintained 18-20mph. I guess if it slows down it’s time for another wash job.?????

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?