How To upgrade your electric v-glide Club Car from 36 volts to 48 volts

OUTL4W

AMA
Admin
Addict
If you have a 36 volt v-glide Club Car and looking for more power options and a greater top speed you should look into upgrading to 48 volts. The first thing you must find out is if the cart is a resistor car or if it has an electronic controller.

The following things must be replaced when upgrading these carts.

Resistor Cart with 1 solenoid:
  1. Solenoid - Swap out the old solenoid and replace it with a heavy duty 48 volt.
  2. Batteries - Purchase six new 8 volt batteries.
  3. Battery Charger - In order to charge these batteries, you must purchase a 48 volt charger for the cart.
You do not have to upgrade the motor.

Older Resistor Cart with 5 solenoids:
  1. Solenoids - Swap out all 5 of the solenoids and replace it with 48 volt solenoids.
  2. Batteries - Purchase six new 8 volt batteries.
  3. Battery Charger - In order to charge these batteries, you must purchase a 48 volt charger for the cart.

Electronic Control Cart:
  1. Electronic Controller - The old 36 volt controller must be replaced with a 400 amp controller rated at 48 volts.
  2. Solenoid - Swap out the old solenoid and replace it with a heavy duty 48 volt.
  3. Wires - Replace all wires with a #4 gage wire.
  4. Batteries - Purchase six new 8 volt batteries.
  5. Battery charger - In order to charge these batteries, you must purchase a 48 volt charger for the cart.

Last edited:

Crash Test Dummy

Dazed and Confused
Admin
Donater
Addict
Tech
there are a few ... but if you go with a heavy duty you will have to find a way to get it bolted down

there are a few ... but if you go with a heavy duty you will have to find a way to get it bolted down
I think that I could fab up a bracket to mount the solenoids. I was checking if I should go with standard or heavy duty like 400 amp I was just given another club car just like the other one 36 volt with 5 solenoids. I think it will be a fun project I was also thinking about trying to upgrade to the 48 volt ac system but that is expensive and someone told me that your battery pack will only last about 3 years. Crash have you done any research on that?

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?