DS non running '97 DS 48v project

Schwing

Had another project to work on first. Picked this up on Sat and so far have topped off the battery cells and charged overnight. 53v after unplugging I believe. Next step is to remove the body so I can go over it and more easily diagnose issues. If i can get her running I plan on new shocks, dash, and paintjob. This morning after charging I turned the key and verified that the solenoid clicks when I press the accelerator in F, but does not in R, and the reverse chime does not go off. I do have 2 questions that popped up before I left for work:

1- I took a picture of the motor and noticed that it says 36v. did someone F up replacing the motor, or did someone take a 36v cart and try to just add extra batteries? does it matter? I can't see the controller so I will have to get to it to verify the model and specs. I was trying not to have to buy a new motor and controller, but if this is actually a 36v, can I just get a 48v motor/ controller package?

2- when pushing it around, it really doesn't coast, like the brakes are dragging. when I put it on the stands, I tried to turn the rear tires, and it was hard and they seemed to be binding for 1/2 turn, then easier, then binding again. I also notice that the other side did not turn the opposite way when I did that. Shouldn't the rear act like a normal diff and turn opposite way when you rotate one side? Or is this a sign the motor is really buggered up? Or is the diff buggered up?

Did I screw myself on this one?

Attachments

About Us

Wild Buggies is a golf cart enthusiast community, with some hot rod/retro/ratrod enthusiasts peppered in, which is committed to providing a safe and effective communications platform related to the industry.

Affiliates

Support Us!

If you like advert free forums.

Donate now
Forgot your password?